Wednesday 23 March 2011

Music magazine: Completed double page spread.

This is my completed double page spread. Overall i am very pleased with it, as i managed to incorporate all of the features that i intended to, without making it too heavy with text, or too full with far too many images. I feel as though it really resembles a double page spread in similar magazines, but with a slight difference as i have also added many of my own ideas. I like that the quotes and title is in the same colour as the red from the top, as it links the model to the text. Additionally, the purple from the quotation marks also creates a link to her hair colour, and tights. I believe that this would appeal to my target audience as it follows a similar theme to other popular magazines that they buy. It is a big improvement from my draft versions, as i have modified it so the reader would not be overwhelmed by the amount of text on the page, and the photographs have more space, making everything clear and easy to read. The colours used throughout the two pages all link to the model in some way, but the majority has remained black to ensure that it can be easily read.

I will now compare various parts of my double page spread with the features i originally analysed in my double page spread research.

After looking at other double page spreads in similar magazines, i realised that they often had two big images at opposite ends of the page, usually of the model standing up. When taking my own photographs i remembered this, so i had my model do a few different poses, mimicking a few images occasionally. As i had a prop, which most of the images didn't have, i had to also keep in mind that the instrument had to be seen, but not in a way that either took too much attention away from the model, or covered her in a way that meant she was not recognisable. 

Many pages had the magazines name, as well as a short description of what the main article was about, in one of the top corners, which is something i replicated when creating my own. Like the example on the left, i placed my magazine title in the right hand corner, and give a brief summary of what my double page spread was about. 

A long, memorable quote was often used as the title, and so i added this to my own double page spread. The font colour was generally the same colour as a prominent piece of clothing the person was wearing, and frequently had a black or white background behind it to make that colour stand out more. When creating my own, i made my own title the same colour as the red on my models festival top. 

Whenever i looked at examples of popular magazines double page spreads, i noticed that many of them used the same idea of having a certain quote, sometimes surrounded by a shape, written in a simple font, with big, colourful quotation marks added around it. As some of them are surrounded by colour, i decided to just colour all of my quotes the same as my title, so they would all have a connection.

There were smaller images placed in either a corner, or around the middle of the page as well, and so i decided to use this image of Josie, and placed the text around her. I then overlapped the advertisement over the bottom of her, which is a feature that i often saw before. These images usually feature a fairly plain expression, in an attempt to keep most of the attention on the main images and text.

The text on my double page spread was originally a lot heavier, but after looking at research of similar magazines, i edited out unnecessary text. When evaluating other pages, i noticed that the text was often in small columns, and was highlighted to distinguish between the interviewer, and those being interviewed. I used purple when using this technique on Josie's name, as it created a link to her hair colour and tights, as well as the purple on the front cover, and the contents page. The pale blue was used for the interviewer, as it was a similar colour to Josie's skirt.

Overall, i am very pleased with my double page spread. I used my research in a way that allowed to use my own ideas and those of similar magazines, to create an effective page that i think would appeal to my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment