Monday 17 January 2011

Music magazine: font/name development

After deciding on my music magazine's name, i decided to do some font development to enable me to design the title that i would use on my completed magazine. As i plan to make my music magazine like NME, showing punk rock, alternative, indie, and other music genres that follow the same trend, i decided that when i thought of previously analysed magazines, i noticed that very bold, bright colours were used, and so i planned to do the same for my own. After testing simple fonts in black, making them italic, bold, and different sizes, i then went on to selecting my favourite fonts out from the ones shown on the left.


Following my previous font development, i chose to experiment with all the different colours and effects, looking at colours that were very bright as most people associate loud music with bold colours. Eventually, i decided that i preferred the titles with a drop shadow behind them, or another title placed behind it to give it a similar effect, but give a brighter shadow. I then chose the title that appears in the first column as number four.


This font - called Accent SF - stood out the most to me. Applying the same techniques to these designs, i decided that i could further the shadow effect by adding an additional title behind the other two, which is how i created the second and third design in column one, and the second design in column two. I chose red, blue and yellow as i thought they stood out the most, clashing, but creating a bright, and loud image. The fact that the colours crash reminds me and others of music festivals, where the louder the music, the better.


After the previous development, i decided on using this title as i thought that it would represent the genre of music that i want to include in my magazine. Loud, bold, unique, unusual, but interesting. Something different. I hope to place this title on either a blank page, or a black square so that the colours could stand out more.

1 comment: